Thursday 5 May 2011

A Little Bit of Wasted Time...

I bought a few magazines today and one of them, 3D World, had a great maya based tutorial on making a virus. Though I wasn't using viruses specifically I though I could then use what I learn on my own cells.

To do it you use a free add on for maya called mMaya from www.molecularmovies.com/toolkit.

It's potentially great! You download scientifically accurate information from www.rcsb.org, which then allows you to create the cell of your choice. However, after traipsing the internet all afternoon I failed miserably at finding the right type of cell so rather than just having a go at something that wasn't necessarily useful but having something to show for it I in fact have nothing and feel a bit silly.

On a more positive note though, I feel a bit like I would've been cheating if I'd successfully used it. These cells are meant to be our own representations of them based on our research so it's not all bad :)

Anyway, back onto the horse and onwards to something else!

No comments:

Post a Comment