Wednesday 19 October 2011

Some Rough Character Drawings...

I'm trying to get used to the design of my characters now so that when it comes to drawing them I'll be able to do it without much thought. For these drawings I really just focused on Inari and Oni's body shape:

Photobucket

Photobucket



Photobucket
You can see by these drawings that her body shape is changing pretty much every time, but I think once I get her costume sorted and actually give her a face then I can look at the lengths of her body parts so I can start making rules about how everything should look. As for her sword, I started trying to draw that out on the train (which was just silly, you can't do lovely lines on a train!) so that's super rough and generic at the moment.

Above is the first drawing of Oni, I wanted him next to Inari so I can start making him the complete opposite of her.


Photobucket

Justin gave me some really great advice for my characters yesterday. He suggested that I ramp up the 'spirit' side of the characters. Inari will be mostly human but magical so she isn't so bad, whereas Oni needs to look really not of this world and Justin explained that at the moment he is demon-like but he isn't looking much like he's from the spirit world, he's much too physical.  So the plan is to make him bigger, meaner and more spirit-ey.
Photobucket

This is what I have so far, not much, but his shape is really starting to get there. Justin said that he could be more bulkier than The Hulk so that's what I plan to do! I'm going to play around with his proportions, making the tops of his arms and legs huge and the bottoms more tapered and thin. The shape is almost there though, and the magical side of things I though that his horns might not by physical at all, they may actually be floaty, fiery horns that change with his moods. Also, his belt across his chest that holds his magic evil amulet could be suspended by more magical floaty substances.

It's good stuff to be getting on with though, so onwards! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment